Call us: 020 8590 2248 Email : [email protected]

Party Wall Advice

Party Wall Advice

Frequently Asked Questions

You will need to be mindful of the provisions of the Party Wall Act etc 1996 if you are considering carrying out any building work such as an extension on your home that may impact the wall or foundations of the wall (or walls) located between yours and your neighbour’s property.

The Act will correctly ensure both your and your neighbour’s property is protected from damage occurring from the work taking place. As independent Party Wall Surveyors, we examine the condition of the wall, before and after the work – formally monitoring the condition.

What is a Party Wall?

A Party Wall is defined as a wall that is shared by two properties – such as in a semi- detached or terraced property – it is a wall that separates buildings belonging to different titleholders.

When does the Party Wall Act apply?

By way of example, if a semi-detached property owner is carrying outbuildings works on or close to a boundary wall the Party Wall Act may apply. The Act becomes relevant when the planned alterations may affect the structural integrity of a Party Wall.

It can also be applicable if the building works are close enough to affect the properties of foundations. For example, excavation work in close proximity to your neighbour’s property.

Advice from a Chartered Surveyor is always recommended for both the property owner carrying out the work and the potentially affected neighbour in such circumstances.

What about foundations?

If your planned property alterations include foundations (for a wall) up to 6 metres from a neighbouring or adjoining property the Act may also apply. We can offer tailored advice, based on your plans and assist you in finding out if the Party Wall Act will apply to you or your neighbour.

If the Party Wall Act etc 1996 applies to me, what next?

If the work being undertaken is covered by the Party Wall Act you will need to appoint an independent Party Wall Surveyor. They will follow the process and serve the required papers including drawing up the Party Wall Award.

What is a Party Wall Award?

The Party Wall Award is a legal document which sets out the duties and responsibilities of the respective owners. It will cover areas such as how damage is dealt with, working hours and contractor’s insurance.

Who pays for the Party Wall Surveyor?

Under the provisions of the Act the building owner is typically responsible for the fees incurred.

How we can help?

With over 20 years’ experience, we can offer you expert and professional advice on the necessary procedures at highly competitive prices. Whether you are the Building Owner or the Adjoining Owner please contact us for a free quote to discuss your situation.